Italy Cancels Venice Carnival Over Coronavirus Outbreak, as World Reaches ‘Tipping Point’ by KURT ZINDULKA for Brietbart
The Venice Carnival has been cut short by officials in Italy, as the country faces the largest outbreak of the deadly coronavirus in Europe, leading a professor in the UK to warn that the world is facing a “tipping point” in the outbreak.
The carnival, which was scheduled to run until Tuesday, was shut down by authorities in the Veneto region of Italy.
So far five people have died and 219 cases of the coronavirus have been confirmed in Italy, the most in Europe and third-highest in the world behind South Korea and China, according to Il Giornale.
Italian officials have been unable to locate the source of the outbreak in the north, but they believe that it may have begun with a yet unidentified ‘super-spreader’.
“The health officials haven’t been yet able to pinpoint Patient Zero,” said Angelo Borrelli, the head of the Civil Protection Agency. A so-called super-spreader, a businessman who travelled from China to France to the United Kingdom last month, was blamed in other European cases.
In response to the outbreak, Italy has begun quarantining areas surrounding Venice and Milan, where approximately 50,000 people will be barred from leaving for the next two weeks. Businesses, schools and even football matches have been cancelled across the region.
Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte said on Saturday that Italy would enact “extraordinary measures” that could last for weeks, including empowering armed police to enforce quarantines, reports the BBC.
Conte later said that there is “no need to panic” and that “the EU has full confidence in the Italian authorities and the decisions they are taking,”
Giuseppe Sala, the mayor of Milan said that schools in the region will close during the outbreak, following Milan University, which has already been shut down.