210 Days of Freedom: The Coming Private Firearms Sales Frenzy by James Wesley Rawles for Survival Blog
The U.S. Senate returned from its summer recess on September 9, 2019. It has been widely reported that the Senate’s Republican leadership has caved in to media pressure. They have promised to create a Senate version of H.R. 8 — the “Bipartisan Background Checks Act of 2019”. (It already passed in the House, back in February.)
The phrases “Universal Background Checks” and “Comprehensive Background Checks” sound all warm and fuzzy to the leftists. But here is what they really mean: “We’ll make you a felon if you sell a gun to your next door neighbor”. Please don’t allow this blatantly unconstitutional bill to become law. Turning a fundamental right into a felony is the worst sort of legislative tyranny.
In the Senate version of the bill, they’ll probably carve out an exemption for transfers within immediate families. And they might make an exemption for holders of current CCW permits. There will of course be a compromise version of the House and Senate bills, in Conference Committee. So the exact wording of the finalized law is uncertain. But if the effective date stipulated in the House version is left intact, then the new law will take effect 210 days after it is signed. (“The amendments made by this Act shall take effect 210 days after the date of the enactment of this Act.”)
President DJT has made repeated public announcements that he wants to see a “universal background check” law. So there is a very high probability that he will sign the bill, if it crosses his desk. Once that 210-day window opens, watch out. I predict that we’ll witness the biggest gun-buying frenzy in U.S. history. President Obama was jokingly named Gun Salesman of the Year for a couple of years, but Donald Trump is about to become The Gun Salesman of the Century. And his signature on that law may even cost him getting re-elected.
If it enacted, here are some Implications of the new law:
- It will ruin gun shows as we now know them. All gun sales–except for pre-1899 antiques–will have to go through dealers. That will make most “Mom & Pop” sellers will want to retire, leaving gun shows to just licensed dealers. It also means that gun store retail prices will become the norm for gun shows. No more bargains!
- It will make Pre-1899 Antique guns (which are exempt from the law) much more valuable.
- Similarly, 80% complete frames and receivers will become much more popular. That is, until they ban those, too.
- It will create an absolute frenzy of private sales and trades, during the 210-day window of opportunity. Gun shows will be jam-packed. Armslist.com will have its private party listings stripped clean–even for .22 rimfire guns.
- The prices of some Private Party guns will double or triple. I can foresee private party stripped AR lowers selling for $350 or more, and complete ARs selling for $1,200 to $4,000. I’m not kidding!
- The buying frenzy will only increase as the 210 Day window comes close to closing. The last few weeks of gun buying privacy will be particularly memorable. I can foresee that there will be some $5,000 AR-10s sold, in those final weeks.
- After the law’s effective date, it will create a huge black market, with chronically inflated prices.
I’m no prophet, but I can fairly safely predict that the last few gun shows in November and December of 2019 will be jam-packed spectacles. The licensed dealers will be fairly busy, but the private party sellers will have their tables absolutely stripped clean, by eager cash buyers. To call it a “Seller’s Market” will be putting it mildly. If you have a table full of private party guns at a gun show in December of 2019, then you will be able to get your “dream price” on any black rifle on your table.
YOUR LEGISLATIVE ACTION PLAN
This law can possibly still be stopped. Starting today, please repeatedly contact both of your U.S. Senators and your congressman about this, and remind them that they have NO AUTHORITY to control intrastate commerce of used goods, under the interstate commerce clause! No Federal nexus means no Federal jurisdiction. A fallback position will be to say to your Senators: If you cannot stop this, then at least load this bill up with as many amendments as possible. These should include: