Aloe vera: The plant of immortality with proven health benefits by: Kristine Payne for Natural News
Few plants possess the soothing properties that can rival the humble aloe vera plant. Often known as the “wonder plant” or the “plant of immortality,” aloe vera has been highly revered as a natural remedy by various cultures across the globe due to its potent healing properties.
Disclaimer: This article includes links to lab-tested aloe vera products that help support our ongoing investigations and independent journalism. Thank you for your support.
You’ve probably heard of aloe vera as a common ingredient in various cosmetics, food supplements, herbal remedies, skincare products, moisturizers, and more – and for good reason. This spiky succulent owes its healing qualities to two useful components of its thick, fleshy leaves. These are the aloe gel and the aloe latex or juice, both of which have their own share of medicinal properties. The innermost part of the plant is the clear and odorless gel, while the outer part of the plant contains the aloe latex. When you cut open an aloe leaf, you will see this juice as a yellow liquid that seeps out of the leaf. The aloe vera gel is so nutrient-dense that it can even be considered a superfood on its own. (Related: This is why ancient Egyptians referred to Aloe Vera as the ‘plant of immortality’.)
Aloe vera’s amazing health benefits
The aloe vera plant has earned the nickname “plant of immortality” due to its therapeutic capabilities that can help you achieve optimal health. Here are a few of the proven health benefits that this healing succulent can provide:
- Aloe vera soothes and moisturizes the skin: Aloe vera is a rich source of natural compounds that can help nourish and moisturize your skin. The topical application of aloe vera extract is one of the most well-known uses of this plant. When applied to the skin, the plant’s extract has been shown to support the healing of mild burn wounds, such as sunburns, and provide relief from minor skin rashes and irritations. The best part is that aloe vera can be tolerated by all skin types.
- Aloe vera supports healthy digestion: This healing succulent contains a unique polysaccharide called acemannan, which supports healthy digestion.
- Aloe vera supports healthy bowel movement: Historically, many people have used aloe vera as a remedy to provide relief from occasional stomach upset. This application is still common today and is among the many ways aloe vera supports a robust digestive system.
- Aloe vera supports a healthy immune system: Due to its wide range of nurturing compounds, aloe vera can support optimal immune system function. Numerous studies have previously reported on the immune system-boosting capabilities of aloe vera, and many more recent studies continue to support this. The high content of vitamins and minerals found in aloe vera may also help boost your immune system.
- Aloe vera is loaded with essential vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants: The clear aloe vera gel contains beneficial vitamins, including vitamins A, B1, B2, B3, B6, B12, C, and E, some of which are potent antioxidants that are responsible for the plant’s nourishing health benefits. Some of the essential minerals found in aloe vera include calcium, chromium, copper, magnesium, manganese, potassium, selenium, and zinc.
If you want to experience the full health benefits of aloe vera, you can take the extract in juice, powder, capsule, or raw form. However, it is important to make sure that you trust only clean and high-quality sources of aloe vera. Health Ranger Select 100% Organic Freeze Dried Aloe Vera 200:1 Extract Powder is made from the innermost part of the aloe vera plant. Derived from this nutrient-dense gel, our aloe vera extract powder is 200x more concentrated than raw aloe, meaning every gram of dried powder is equivalent to 200g of raw inner leaf gel. It also the only aloe vera extract powder in the market that is thoroughly lab tested for heavy metals, microbiology, and glyphosate.