Nickel Iron Battery Off Grid Energy Storage | Last One You’ll Ever Need byfor Modern Survival Blog
The Nickel Iron battery from Iron Edison of Denver, Colorado, is an updated version of Thomas Edison’s battery design that he considered to be nearly perfect.
For Off-Grid energy storage and renewable energy systems, this battery will likely be the last one you’ll ever buy. Why? Because it’s nearly indestructible and lasts up to 30 years!
(UPDATED 2019) COST ANALYSIS (further down the page)
Support Our Site
Now is your chance to support Gospel News Network.
We love helping others and believe that’s one of the reasons we are chosen as Ambassadors of the Kingdom, to serve God’s children. We look to the Greatest Commandment as our Powering force.
Edison’s battery recipe used iron oxide and nickel hydrate, without the corrosive acid-based electrolyte used in today’s lead acid batteries.
The result was the long life Nickel-Iron-Alkaline cell.
The Nickel Iron battery features the longest life span of any battery ever invented.
You might want to read that again…
Advantages | Specs
- Rated for 11,000 cycles, or 30 years of daily discharge!
- Completely resistant to freezing.
- Operating temperature range of -22 to +140F (-30 to +60C)
- Tolerant to overcharge & over-discharge.
- Supports 80% depth of discharge.
- Discharging a Nickel Iron battery 80% or more will not negatively impact its life expectancy .
- Daily deep discharging has no impact on battery cycle life.
- Fully compatible with industry leading inverters and charge controllers like Schneider, Outback Power, Magnum Energy, MidNite Solar and SMA, just to name a few.
- Available in 12, 24, and 48 Volt configurations.
- Retains ~ 88% of capacity at 32 °F whereas lead acid is typically significantly worse.
- Capacity is ~ 118% of rated at 68 °F whereas lead acid 100% capacity is typically at a higher temperature.
Iron Edison is the only company to have tested the Nickel Iron battery at National Renewable Energy Laboratory in Golden, CO. Tests confirm that the cells over-perform at the 5, 10 and 20 hour discharge rates by nearly 20%!